There is a lot to love about Ireland: stunning coastlines, lush green countryside, friendly and welcoming people, fantastic food and drink, plenty of vibrance, culture, a rich history and free healthcare. 

If you’re debating moving to Ireland for work, there are some things you need to consider such as where you are going to live, where you will work and the additional steps you need to take as a citizen from outside of Ireland. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through relocating to Ireland for work.

Who can work in Ireland?

Anyone can work and live in Ireland, although those that live in the EU, EAA and Switzerland will find it easier than the rest of the world as they do not require an employment permit to live and work on the Emerald Isle. 

If you are relocating from outside the EU, EAA or Switzerland, you will have to get an employment permit first. There are a couple of types of permits that you can apply for depending on where in the world you are moving from and the type of work you are relocating for. 

Most job seekers from overseas would require either a Critical Skills Employment Permit or a General Employment Permit which can be obtained from the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation in Ireland. If you wish to open a business in Ireland, you may need an employment permit. 

Where can I find work in Ireland?

Before taking the plunge and moving to Ireland, we recommend that you find employment and housing first. One of the easiest ways to do this is by contacting a specialist recruitment agency who can help you find what it is that you’re looking for.

With over 1,000 global companies across varying sectors in Ireland, there are plenty of opportunities to be had, especially for people who can speak different languages. Some of the key sectors for job seekers are construction, engineering, IT, accounting and finance. Once you have been given a job offer, you should then think about looking for somewhere to live. 

living in ireland

How can I find somewhere to live in Ireland?

If you have been offered a job, this will dictate which part of Ireland you live in. Despite that, moving house and country can be quite stressful. Expats should take a month or two to find the property for them.  

If you are looking to rent, you can find both furnished and unfurnished properties available and if you are looking to buy there are some great opportunities to own too. 

Dublin is Ireland’s capital, and with many companies’ HQs in this vibrant city, it makes it a popular destination for many people to work and live. Rent is high in Dublin, according to The the average rental price is now €1,972 per month, this is why many families are looking to live on the outskirts of the city.

Sites like and are great places to start your search.

Set up your finances

To open a bank account in Ireland, you need to be at least 18 years old. Like in many other countries, you will need to provide proof of ID and address. If you haven’t moved to Ireland yet, you can still open a bank account at your home address, however, this depends on the bank. 

The currency used in Ireland is the Euro (€) and we recommend that prior to moving you should convert some of your country’s currency into Euros to give you a head start. 

Paying Taxes and Insurance

Every employer and employee (over the age of 16 and under the age of 66) will pay social insurance contributions. The amount you pay depends on your job and rate of contribution. Most employees will be placed in class A for their rate of insurance contributions. 

If you are employed by a large corporation, your taxes and insurance contributions will be taken out through your payslips. If you are self-employed, you will pay Class S social insurance, and this will need to be paid directly to the Revenue Commissioners. 

Health Insurance and the Irish Healthcare System

It doesn’t matter where in the world you are from, every person living and working in Ireland is entitled to use their universal healthcare system. Expats do not need to have been paying taxes before using the healthcare system, instead, you just need to prove that you are a resident who intends to stay in the country for a year. 

If you will be living and working in Ireland for a year or more, you can submit the below documents to the Health Service Executive (HSE) to begin using universal healthcare:

  • Work permit or visa
  • Employment contract
  • Evidence of using an Irish bank account
  • Housing contract or Deed of Sale
  • Residency permit

If you are from an EU country, EEA or Switzerland, you can access the public health service by using your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) however you will still be required to sign up to the HSE to use the public healthcare service fully. 


If you are moving to Ireland with your family, it is good to know how the school system works. The Irish school system is divided into primary and secondary schools. Primary covers children 4-12 and secondary is 13-17. 

Several of the public (state-funded) schools are catholic, with many non-religious options also available. Every school follows the national same national curriculum, apart from religious education as this is dictated by the type of school your child attends. In addition to the fantastic range of primary and secondary schools, Ireland is also home to some fantastic universities too including Trinity College in Dublin. 

Looking for a new position in the construction space? Visit our job board to see all our amazing opportunities.